Join us in celebrating the one-year anniversary of our historic strike! For ten days, thousands of SEIU 73 workers from hundreds of job titles and departments came together on the picket line fighting for UIC to protect, respect and pay us.
On September 23rd, the final day of the strike, 73 members shut down the construction site across from the hospital. That afternoon, the contracts were settled, and the strike was called off! Workers won significant across the board raises, annual market analysis of their titles, increases to hourly differentials, and established bilingual certification bonuses for the first time ever.
“We stood in solidarity, demanded respect, and brought national attention to our issues. Most importantly we learned that when we fight, we win. Solidarity!” –Member Vice President and Chief Steward Lavitta “Vee” Steward.
This week, we are celebrating our solidarity and our unity by rolling out new tools and resources for UIC union members that never before existed so that all members can have the information and knowledge to enforce your contract and keep UIC accountable to their word.
- Contract Distribution & Fight Back Trainings! This week we will distribute contracts and hold short in-person training sessions that will cover employee rights in the workplace, rights under the union contract, and the tools that you and your co-workers can use to enforce those rights. See “Upcoming Member Meetings” for details.
- Meet your stewards Fall 2021. If you don’t know who your steward is, check out this flyer with photos and names of UIC stewards across the hospital and campus.
- Guide to Enforcing Your Contract Fall 2021. Having the contract is one thing, but knowing how to enforce it is something else! We will be distributing these guides to members so that you and your coworkers have all the tools you need to stand up and fight back.
- Check out the revamped website, with a detailed list of links and resources.
- Sign up to be a steward or nominate a coworker. Stewards lead the union in the workplace and serve as members’ first line of defense.
- Sign up for COPE. Contributing to the Committee on Political Education is how we build power politically to win a seat at the table and support the fight for improvements in our workplaces and communities. If you aren’t giving to COPE, give today!
Upcoming Member Meetings
Fight Back Trainings: Enforcing your contract in the workplace
Training sessions will take place at a union table on the hour, but you are welcome to come out and get your contract at any time. So far we have tables scheduled the following dates and times.
- Thursday, Sept. 23, 8 a.m. – 4 p.m. at Wood & Taylor St directly across from the OCC
- Tuesday, Sept. 28, 8 a.m. – 4 p.m. at Wood & Taylor St directly across from the OCC.
- Wednesday, Sept. 29, 8 a.m. – 4 p.m. at Wood & Taylor St directly across from the OCC.
- Additional virtual and in-person training sessions can be scheduled by department or work area. Reach out to your steward or union staff representative to schedule a training and a time to distribute the contracts for your area.
Fall 2021 Membership Meetings
We are committed to transparency and open communication so that every union member has the opportunity to contribute to discussions and decisions about the direction of our union. Our goal is to hold mass membership meetings every Fall and every Spring. Please save the date and RSVP now for one of the two Fall membership meetings.
Find Your Union Steward and Staff Representative
Staff at the local are assigned to work with specified buildings, departments and colleges of the university. These assignments may change from time to time. Please see the list below for an updated breakdown of which staff are assigned to which areas and their contact information. If you do not see your area listed below, reach out to Melinda Bunnage, Deputy Director of Higher Education, at email@example.com.
Jeanene Johnson, Jeanene.Johnson@seiu73.org
- Miles Square Clinics
- College of Pharmacy
Ryan Miller, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ear Eye Infirmary
- Outpatient Care Center
- College of Dentistry
- Clinical Science Building
- Division of Specialized Care for Children
- John Marshall Law
- College of Medicine
Andrew Yale, email@example.com
- Building Service Workers
- East Campus Colleges/Buildings
Cathleen Jensen, firstname.lastname@example.org Grievance Support
Last Updated 10/22/21
Be sure to wear your SEIU swag or purple every Wednesday as we continue to call on UIC to honor the contract! #KeepYourWordUIC
Resources & Links
- Membership Guide Fall 2021
- Meet You Stewards Fall 2021
- HR Contact Email: email@example.com
Worksite Issue Report Forms
- COVID Policy Tracking Report Form
- Certification Tracking Form
- Manager Conduct Report Form (Formulario de informe de conducta del gerente)
- Equity Concern Report Form (Informe de preocupación por la equidad de la Universidad de Illinois en Chicago)
Union Contracts & Relevant Policies/Resources
- Union Contracts
- UIC Labor Agreements Page (Wage Scales + Appendixes)
- UIC HR Policy and Rules for Civil Service Staff
- State University Civil Service System
- UIC Job Board
- Bi-lingual Certification Policy
- UIC Retro FAQs
- Understanding Retro Pay 1 pager
- Signed MOU about Parental Leave
- UIC Presentation on COVID19 Vaccinations & Contact Tracing 9/15/21
- GoTime FAQ
- Steward & Activist Nomination Form
- Steward trainings will be regularly posted on the SEIU 73 Member Webpage
- Steward Election Petition
- UIC Steward Handbook (password protected)
- Steward Info Request Form (password protected)