Building and Dining Service Workers at UIUC Ratify New Contracts
Building and Dining service workers at the University of Illinois-Urbana-Champaign, members of the union SEIU Local 73, overwhelmingly voted to ratify their new contracts. The union, which represents over 800 workers at UIUC, saw a massive voting turnout of members, resulting in a clear-cut passing of the agreements. Members believe the ratification cements one of the most monumental contracts in the history of these two bargaining units.
“There was nothing easy about winning these contracts. Members worked day-and-night to organize, stand up and fight for it. The bargaining committee and I are proud of the work that members did. They put the pressure on UIUC and helped ensure the conversations at the bargaining table became more productive with time,” says Union Chapter President and Dining Service Worker Dena Gary.
The agreement reflects critical wins for service workers, including the largest wage increases they’ve seen in years. The increases total $2.50 throughout the two-year agreement. In addition, the contracts includes wage increases for night workers, lighter work clothing, overtime and parking changes. The top lines of the contract can be found here:
- Across-the-board hourly raises of $1.25 in year one, and $1.25 in year two, which is a combined wage increase of $2.50 throughout the contract. For most, that’s 7-8% increase, which is over twice the campus wage this year alone. For some members in their first year, it’s 10%.
- Deep nights differential goes from 26-cents to $1
- Daytime parking fees frozen at the current .9% for the first year (.94% the second year).
- Multi-lot parking: Dining & Housing BSWs can park in any lot on a list, F&S can be added to a park-anywhere list if they need it.
- BSWs can wear shorts year-round except for three days’ notice (special events, safety), and FSWs can wear light clothing year-round.
- BSWs skipped for overtime get a makeup OT shift, scheduled within two weeks, at a “mutually agreeable” time and date.
- No more post-accident drug-testing (testing only if you fail a checklist with two bosses present and if a steward is available)
- No need to call in each day if you know you’re going to be out sick multiple days