Last Friday, the UIUC bargaining committee, which represents over 800 building service and food service workers at the University of Illinois-Urbana-Champaign, came to a tentative agreement with management. SEIU Local 73 members at the university will now have the chance to vote on it. Between August 24-26, members can vote on-the-clock and in-person. Online voting will run from August 27-29.
Through members’ strength and willingness to take action, they have won unprecedented concessions. The UIUC bargaining committee therefore recommends a YES vote on the new contract, which includes the following:
- Across-the-board hourly raises of $1.25 in year one, and $1.25 in year two, which is a combined wage increase of $2.50 throughout the contract. For most, that’s 7-8% increase, which is over twice the campus wage this year alone. For some members in their first year, it’s 10%.
- Deep nights differential goes from 26-cents to $1
- Daytime parking fees frozen at the current .9% for the first year (.94% the second year).
- Multi-lot parking: Dining & Housing BSWs can park in any lot on a list, F&S can be added to a park-anywhere list if they need it.
- BSWs can wear shorts year-round except for three days’ notice (special events, safety), and FSWs can wear light clothing year-round.
- BSWs skipped for overtime get a makeup OT shift, scheduled within two weeks, at a “mutually agreeable” time and date.
- No more post-accident drug-testing (testing only if you fail a checklist with two bosses present and if a steward is available)
- No need to call in each day if you know you’re going to be out sick multiple days