We are proud to announce additional compensation for employees who are serving in high-risk environments during the COVID-19 Pandemic and Governor J.B. Pritzker’s subsequent Stay at Home Order. This is effective backdating to March, 22, 2020 through a date to be determined by the Campus and Hospital Incident Command Teams in conjunction with City of Chicago and/or State of Illinois Stay at Home directives.
These differentials are for UIC Employees Providing:
- Direct support to the healthcare mission;
- Public-facing engagement with persons who have or who are suspected to have COVID-19;
- Cleaning services within university facilities that have the potential to have been COVID-19 contaminated.
Please refer to the tables below for the new pay differentials:
|Employee Groups Performaing Direct or Indirect Support to Critical and Essential Functions at UIC||Differential for COVID-19 PERIOD|
|Building Service Workers (BSW), BSW Supervisors, BSW Superintendents (VCAS)||$1.00/hr|
|Building Service Workers and Housekeepers (VCSA)||$1.00/hr|
|Building Service Foreman (VCSA)||$1.00/hr|
|Building Service Supervisor (VCSA)||$1.00/hr|
|Emergency Medical Technician (VCAS)||$1.00/hr|
|Parking Service Attendants (VCAS)||$1.00/hr|
|Valet Parking Attendants (VCAS)||$1.00/hr|
|Employee Groups Providing and Supporting Patient Care Services in a Covid-19 Designated Area||(A) Differential for Reassignment to COVID-19 Areas||(B) COVID-19 Non-Critical Care Area Differential||(C) Covid-19 Critical Care Area Differential|
|OVCAS Civil Service Employees (Building Service Workers)||N/A||$1.50/hr||$2.00/hr|
|Non-Exempt (hourly) SEIU||$1.00/hr||$4.00/hr||$5.00/hr|
|Exempt (salaried) SEIU||$120/biweekly||$400/biweekly||$500/biweekly|
- Any staff who has her/his duties reassigned to a COVID-19 area will receive a reassignment differential on all hours worked (productive hours)
- Any staff providing patient care services on a designated COVID-19 area (Critical Care or Non-Critical Care) shall receive a differential on all hours worked (productive hours)
- COVID-19 designated areas include (as of March 26, 2020): 7E Medicine, 7E Step Down, 7E Clinical Decision Unit, 5W Pediatrics, Emergency Department & triage tent, testing sites at Mile Square, University Health Service and Pilsen, clinic and any other unit converted to a COVID-19 area in the future.
- COVID-19 critical care designated areas include 6W MICU & 5W PICU
- Examples include:
- Employees reassigned to COVID area = column A + column B
- Employees reassigned to COVID critical care area = column A + column C
- Employees regularly assigned to COVID area = column B
- Employees regularly assigned to COVID critical care area = column C
Here are three things you can do to continue supporting the fight to protect your fellow UIC workers.
- If you have a health or safety concern relating to any of the above issues, please report it here!
- If you are not a member, then sign a union membership card today, because when we fight together, we win together.
- Sign the petition and share it with your department! Everything we’ve gained so far is the direct result of members standing united.