Individuals who have lost their health insurance may consider enrolling in a Marketplace health plan. Although the open enrollment period is closed, individuals who have lost their health insurance may be eligible to enroll during a special enrollment period that lasts up to sixty days following the loss of their insurance.
- Illinois Department of Insurance website: https://getcovered.illinois.gov/en
- Federal Health Care website: https://www.healthcare.gov/have-coverage/
Individuals may also apply for Medicaid programs in their state. Medicaid helps people in need with healthcare costs. Generally, Medicaid is available to people in need, who are low-income adults ages 19 to 64 years, over 65 years, disabled, blind, or pregnant.
- Indiana Medicaid Enrollment website: https://www.in.gov/fssa/ompp/4597.htm
- Illinois Medicaid Enrollment website: https://enrollhfs.illinois.gov/
- Illinois Legal Aid link providing assistance in applying for Medicaid. https://www.illinoislegalaid.org/legal-information/medicaid