Unit II Negotiations
Special thanks to the Unit II Bargaining Committee. With negotiations going on for the past 11 months, we still insist on fighting for what is right. Although the issues have dwindled down, the Bargaining Committee continues to fight for the best interest of the membership as a whole.
Unit II Bids
We have had discussions with the City over the Detention Aide bids. The City suggests they did nothing wrong, while we believe they must honor the bids for Unit II bargaining unit members. Secretary-Treasurer Matt Brandon has filed a grievance demanding expedited arbitration over the matter.
Unit II OEMC TCA & TCA’H Schedules
Secretary-Treasurer Matt Brandon has demanded to meet with the Commissioners at OEMC over the newly created schedules and blackout dates for holidays. In both instances these items are mandatory subjects of bargaining and the City must negotiate with us over the effects and the decision.
Unit II Department of Revenue
- It has been brought to our attention that the Parking Enforcement Aide Supervisors (PEA-S) are being required to find a replacement for themselves when they want to take vacation. We have also learned that senior PEA-S are being denied their requested vacation time while least senior PEA-S are allowed to take the time that was preferred by the senior PEA-S.
- We filed an all affected grievance over the change in the status quo. This goes against the very grain of seniority and what we fight for on a daily basis.
Unit II Department of Revenue
- Petitions for nomination of Union steward elections have gone up at O’Hare and Midway Airports. If you are interested, please contact the MRC at 312.588.7630 for further details.
- Congratulations to Field Organizer Chris Logan on his new position within Local 73. Chris will now be responsible for the OEMC membership, where he has already increased membership participation. Recently, Chris won a settlement of more than $13,000 in back wages for membership.
Congratulations and Special Thanks
- Special thanks to Local 73 President Christine Boardman for your continued fight and energy with the City of Chicago. President Boardman personally took on the fight with the City over the laid off TCAs and has now taken the first chair in negotiations with the City. Between President Boardman and Secretary-Treasurer Matt Brandon, the leadership and guidance has been a spectacular view in watching and participating in the plan for success.
- Congratulations to Field Organizer Aaron Hardemon on his new duties within the Northwest Indiana Division. Aaron will still be with the City of Chicago Division part-time.
- Special Thanks to Brother Leroy Jones for his continued work and support within the City Division. Leroy has filed grievances covering outsourcing of the Historical Unit and is heading that fight.
- Special Thanks to Field Organizer Doris Mosley. With a constant and consistent offense, she has continued to work successfully for the Crossing Guards and Detention Aides.
- Special thanks to all of our leaders, Executive Board members, stewards and activists. Without all of you we would be drifting in the wind.
All grievances should be emailed to Martha Gallegos at mgallegos@SEIU73.org to obtain a grievance number.